[Taler] PostgreSQL versions / Debian releases

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: [Taler] PostgreSQL versions / Debian releases
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 16:58:39 -0500

On <https://docs.taler.net/taler-merchant-manual.html> ยง3.3.2 we
mention Debian Jessie and PostgreSQL 9.4.  Immediately after,
for later versions of Debian, PostgreSQL 9.5 is mentioned.  IIRC
there are other places where PostgreSQL 9.6 is *required*.

FYI, here is a small table showing when each Debian version
since Jessie was released:

* debian releases
  |       when | name          |
  | 2015-04-25 | Jessie (8)    |
  | 2017-06-17 | Stretch (9)   |
  | 2019-07-06 | Buster (10)   |
  |  (not yet) | Bullseye (11) |

My questions:
(a) Is PostgreSQL 9.6 the minimum version now?
    If not, what is the minimum version?
(b) Should we we target the documentation at Jessie, still?

I propose we drop documentation for Jessie and furthermore any
specific Debian that does not support the minimum PostgreSQL we
require.

Another idea is to specify a range of supported PostgreSQL
versions.  Q: (c) Does that make sense for GNU Taler?

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero