[Taler] (docs) "incomplete" gnunet installation OK?

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: [Taler] (docs) "incomplete" gnunet installation OK?
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2020 04:27:34 -0500

I'm reading README from gnunet-0.14.0.tar.gz and it appears a
"full" installation requires quite a few manual steps after
doing "make install" to make things setuid.  Also there are
prior steps involving the "gnunetdns" group.  All in all, these
depart significantly from the usual "make && sudo make install"
that users have come to expect from GNU software.  My question:

(a) Does GNU Taler require a "full" GNUnet installation?

My understanding is that GNU Taler requires libgnunetutils and
its header(s) only, so i expect the answer to be "no", in which
case i can document a simple "make && sudo make install".  This
would result in a non-completely-functional GNUnet, but a fully
functional libgnunetutils (and header(s)) for use by GNU Taler.
Is that sufficient?  If not, what am i missing?

BTW, this message should be signed as usual.  Apparently Emacs
27 selection of the signer is a bit more involved than for 26.
Oh well, the price of progress.... :-D

--
 (defun responsep (query)               ; (2020) Software Libero