Re: [Taler] Question on How Cryptocurrency Can Be Given as Anonymized Di

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Question on How Cryptocurrency Can Be Given as Anonymized Digital Coins in GNU Taler
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2021 10:20:00 +0200

On 8/20/21 12:03 AM, taler--- via Taler wrote:
> Hello GNU Taler Mailing List,
>
> I was reading through the following documentation:
> HAL Id: tel-02138082
> https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-02138082
> And I noticed in Section 4.2.4 that it is possible to integrate
> Blockchains into GNU Taler for issuing anonymized
> digital coins.
>
> Although cryptocurrencies are indeed generally less stable
> than fiat money, crypto-asset backed stablecoins such as
> DAI and the like would still be a reliable store of value
> as an anonymized digital coins.
>
> I wanted to ask here how ***any*** cryptocurrency could
> easily be issued by a GNU Taler-based exchange such that
> the user would be able to pay merchants privately and
> anonymously using the GNU Taler System.
>
> I found Section 4.2.4 too short for explaining this.
>
> I thank anyone for any responses sent back to me.

To integrate GNU Taler with any currency, GNU Taler requires an
implementation of the Taler Wire Gateway API documented here:
   https://docs.taler.net/core/api-wire.html

LibEuFin is implementing this API against EBICS 2.5 an API offered by
various European commercial banks.

In order to integrate GNU Taler with any cryptocurrency, all one needs
to do is implement this API and configure a Taler exchange to use the
respective endpoint for wire transfers. The main challenges will be
convincing users that the respective Taler exchange operator is
trustworthy as an escrow operator, and possibly satisfying applicable
regulations on crypto-currencies.

Best,

Christian