Re: [Taler] Money with capabilities

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [Taler] Money with capabilities
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 23:01:15 -0400

  > Now, the slogan "just do not protect the children" is unlikely going to
  > work, that strategy has failed very badly so far. With age-restrictions
  > set on the customer's device by the customer at the time of withdrawal,
  > we may have an opportunity to say: give the parents a way to protect
  > their children as they see fit (including protecting their children's
  > personal information), and do not leak any information in the process,
  > and do not make it easy for anyone to turn this into a surveillance
  > tool.

I agree with your views.  Since these restrictions on what you can buy
will be set up anyway, we will do good and little harm by enabling Taler
to do this job with anonymity.

There are other government-imposed limits on what certain people can
buy.  For instance, the US has an aid program called SNAP (formerly
"food stamps") where it gives poor people funds which they can use
only for food.  As I understand it, currently it tracks each person's
purchases.  If we can offer a Taler-based anonymous purchase system
which can be used only to buy food products.