Re: [Taler] [address@hidden: 'Oh, that's an idea...': U.S. parents respo

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: [Taler] [address@hidden: 'Oh, that's an idea...': U.S. parents respond to China screen time ban]
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 00:38:13 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:
China's new rules for game servers, which limit use by minors to a
certain amount of time on certain days of te week, are based on
identifying all users to find out which ones are minors.

If this could be done by a special adults-only Taler coin, it could be
implemented without identifying users.

The major problem I see with that idea is that we are talking about China here. I suspect that the Chinese government considers identifying all users a feature, not a bug and thus would be rather uninterested.

For how this kind of enabling technology could be severely abused, please consider a few substitutions off the top of my head:

s/adults/men/
s/adults/women/
s/adults/whites/
s/adults/HIV-negative-people/
s/adults/non-Jews/

This kind of technology has *extreme* abuse potential. Governments that claim to be representative (unlike China) must give at least lip service to the will of the people, so once one type of special "attribute coin" is working well, introducing more types will be far easier.

-- Jacob