Re: [Taler] [address@hidden: 'Oh, that's an idea...': U.S. parents respo

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: [Taler] [address@hidden: 'Oh, that's an idea...': U.S. parents respond to China screen time ban]
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 16:34:55 -0500

Christian Grothoff wrote:
On 9/4/21 7:38 AM, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
The major problem I see with that idea is that we are talking about
China here.  I suspect that the Chinese government considers identifying
all users a feature, not a bug and thus would be rather uninterested.

I agree, but don't you see how non-Chinese governments will use the same
justifications to push for user identification? And sure, some will see
it as a feature, others governments may today truly believe that "there
is no alternative as we need to protect the children". For those that
see it as a feature, well, they are not our friends. But those forces
that truly are only concerned with protecting children (and gaming
addiction is a real social problem) need to be directed to a technical
alternative --- which arguably protects children *better*. That way, we
weaken support for those pushing for an authoritarian solution which we
all want to avoid.

I am very close to convinced that about no one actually is honestly concerned about protecting children and nearly everyone saying "protect the children" is actually cynically advancing their own authoritarian agenda.

-- Jacob