Re: [Taler] [address@hidden: 'Oh, that's an idea...': U.S. parents respo

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: [Taler] [address@hidden: 'Oh, that's an idea...': U.S. parents respond to China screen time ban]
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2021 17:15:58 -0500

Richard Stallman wrote:

  > Jacob miss-read my comment because I wrote "their own browser
  > would not do so” when I should’ve written "their own browser could
  > not do so.”  In my defence, my entire long comment was about a
  > type of cryptographic ring signature, and human language has
  > plenty of error correction, so it’s completely disingenuous to
  > suddenly read in DRM over one c being a w.

Sorry, I can't follow this.

He had some unclear wording describing a means of implementing something similar to TLS client certificates except that the server learns only that the client is authorized and not *which* authorized client is connecting. The unclear wording left me with an impression that the proposed system required a DRM-like element and I asked for clarification. You (RMS) were involved because you had started the thread earlier.

Digital currency is already similar in some aspects to DRM: both introduce scarcity to the digital environment, with the difference being that digital currency is intended to mirror an actual real-world scarcity while DRM introduces purely artificial scarcity usually intending to abuse users for real-world profit. I am perhaps overly sensitive to ensuring we do not accidentally blunder into implementing or requiring DRM here. It is worth noting that DRM can be trivially used to implement digital currency; this does not excuse DRM.

-- Jacob