Re: [Taler] age-restriction is about coins, not currencies

From: Jacob Bachmeyer
Subject: Re: [Taler] age-restriction is about coins, not currencies
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2021 23:11:48 -0500

Christian Grothoff wrote:
On 09.09.21 23:48, Jacob Bachmeyer wrote:
Schanzenbach, Martin wrote:
As proposed in another mail by Jacob another option is to enforce
restrictions in the wallet/client only on a per service basis (a
whitelist I would assume) or on a restricted good basis (difficult,
requires definition and harmonization of "goods").
The credit card industry has already standardized a system of merchant
categories.  Perhaps a small addition to the Taler protocol would be
needed for merchants to state their category code (or "unspecified" and
the user assigns a category to the transaction) or each user could
define their own budgetary categories.

Interesting. Do you have any pointer to that list of merchant
categories? I indeed think that might be a good thing to add to the
Taler contract specification.

Unfortunately not. I know it exists, because that is how credit cards can have rewards for certain categories of purchases, but I do not have the actual list. A vague memory led to a Web search and they are called simply "Merchant Category Codes" or "Merchant Category Classification" codes. There is apparently an ISO 18245 standard for them, but there are also other systems that might be more useful, such as the North American Industry Classification System and the International Standard Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC).

Taler should probably provide an "authority/authority's tag" model for this field, allowing a merchant to declare the category of their business or of a transaction in any of several systems (or in multiple systems) instead of relying specifically on one set of codes. So, as an example, a merchant could declare {..., category: [ mcc: 1234, naics: 123456], ...} (using numbers made up for the example; those are probably not consistent).

-- Jacob