Re: [Taler] GNU Taler: An update from Switzerland...

From: Calvin Burns
Subject: Re: [Taler] GNU Taler: An update from Switzerland...
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2022 13:45:29 +0000

On Fri, 09/30/2022 01:01:04 PM, Christian Grothoff wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Watson [1] just reported on the Swiss parliament having put forward an
> inquiry ("Postulat") with support form members of all parties in the
> parliament tasking the Swiss government to evaluate the legal foundations
> for an introduction of GNU Taler [2] by the Swiss National bank.
>
> Naturally, this is not a done deal (and "only" Switzerland), but it could be
> one significant step forward. So thanks for your continued support and let's
> keep hacking!
>

> Christian
> --
> [1]
> https://www.watson.ch/digital/schweiz/567383477-gnu-taler-bundesrat-soll-einfuehrung-von-digitalem-bargeld-pruefen
> [2] https://taler.net/

Would it be possible to combine the introduction of GNU Taler with the
introduction of a mechanism to make the existence and functioning of the payment
system independent of the economic state of banks (or any other private entity)?
Currently when a bank is bankrupt it affects the payment system.  As I
understand this is one reason why big banks are bailed out by tax payers (which
are not the rich people, thanks to Blackrock).  As you said in an earlier post
[1] there is a protocol in case a Taler exchange is bankrupt.  Shouldn't we have
something similar with banks? Because no matter if a bank is bankrupt or not:
the account data exists and is valid.  That way we would remove one "moral
hazard" [2].

[1] Message-ID: <18910983-c566-d3b3-c50b-700a0a0288cf@gnunet.org>
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_hazard