Re: [Taler] Taler and UBI

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Taler and UBI
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2022 19:31:02 +0200

I assume by UBI you mean Universal Basic Income.

The main challenge for UBI is that you need to make sure every individual only is getting their income once. That usually requires some form of registration, which usually then goes together with identity documents (which in poorer countries not everyone has today), and that in turn can be the basis for surveillance, especially if it is E-ID and then the government can demand identification more often. Those are not problems Taler can hope to solve.

OTOH, assuming every individual's wallet is somehow registered as eligible for UBI, it should be trivial to distribute UBI to Taler wallets, and then one could spend that with privacy.