Re: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution

From: Nicola Döbelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:31:43 +0200

Hi Remon

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 21.47:49 Remon wrote:
> So if anyone of you have (other) ideas, needs more info or knows about a
> program that works in a similar way, and is implemented in c/c++
> (rdiff-backup uses python :-( ), please let me know!

As the maintainer of the intel-Mac port I start trembling each time a new
dependency is introduced ;-) Once you guys add something that's not available
on the mac I'm lost...

Do you want to save incremental changes to save HD space? Can't we just save
the entire project file each time? You could even stuff all those files into
a tar.gz archive, just like ODF files are compressed archives containing all
kinds of xml and image files. In order to reduce the number of xml files, you
could create a new one only when the project is loaded. Saving during a
session could then use the same file. It could even be made an option, like:

Backup strategy:
- no backups (never create a new project file)
- reasonable (only create a new file if the project is loaded)
- paranoid (each saving creates a new file)

Some sort of "date of expiration" could also be used to avoid uncontrolled
growing of the archive. E.g. by an option "Delete backup files older than X
days, but keep at least Y backups".

I'm just brainstorming. No idea if all this makes any sense...

Nic

P.S. I know, I'm an options junkie. And yes, I use KDE ;-)