Re: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Incremental backup solution
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 23:28:41 +0200

Remon wrote:
>>> Only on the xml file, running it on the audiosources isn't very usefull,
>>> they don't change (and if they do, the backup will take very long to
>>> finish...)
>> Ok, they don't change because any changes creates new audiosources?
>
> Indeed
>
>> If so, then there's the problem with cleaning up (removing) unused
>> audiosources. (which is a feature much needed but not yet existing I
>> think?) Only looking at the current project file for unused audio might
>> remove audiosources used in a backup. But if it could be smart enough to
>> look at each rollback and indicate if any rollback would be destroyed if
>> a certain audiosource is removed? Or perhaps the other way around, one
>> could tell it to clean up audiosources unused in the current project and
>> N backups back in time!
>
> Yeah, I've been thinking about that too, dunno yet how this would work, that
> is, how to handle removed recorded files, without notifying the user....
> Or just leave it as it is, the audioclips will show up as always, but only in
> red, with a 'click to reset audio file'. You'll then know it was a wrong
> backup point you've chosen ?

Why not do like this: When you choose "clean up unused audio" you get a
dialog with a list of all backups. Then you choose which backups you
want to keep and all audiosources not used in those or the current
project will be removed, and so will the other (unselected) backups.

>> How big is a common XML project file? If it's not too big, then why not
>> just back up the whole file instead of using incremental diff backup?
>
> Hah, good one! Don't know how large a common file is, but I've a project here
> with 30 tracks, and 186 clips, with some 30 in use, which makes the project
> file 134 KB large.
> Compressing it to .gz makes it only 8 KB large :)
>
> Not too bad when keeping in mind that the total project size easily exceeds
> 10-20 GB

Hehe, then I really think you should skip the incremental backup and
simply do full backups (with timestamp in filenames). Then it's also
easy for the user to remove backups he knows are not needed without
breaking the incremental chain...

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]