Re: [Traverso-devel] multichannel output

From: Jonatan Liljedahl
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] multichannel output
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 20:27:10 +0200

Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
>>> So, Master Out is the same as Playback 1 except it goes through the
>>> Sheet gain? In that case, I think you should skip Master Out and have
>>> only Playback 1,2,3,etc and either put one sheet gain controller for
>>> each bus, and/or apply the single Sheet Gain to all busses.
>> No entirely, Master Out is a dedicated Bus used to mixdown all the Tracks.
>> The
>> Playback X buses are the 'real' buses, in case no real hardware bus could be
>> found, Master Out will be used as fallback.
>> It's also used as the render Bus for the Sheet....
>
> Hmm.. Doesn't the Playback X busses mix tracks? I mean, if I have two
> stereo tracks and choose "Playback 2" on both of them, won't they be
> mixed together on playback bus 2? If not, I think this should be the
> case. :)
>
> Which bus to render could later be choosen: the export dialog would ask
> what bus to use, and even have the ability to export multiple busses
> either to a single soundfile (if the fileformat supports more than 2
> channels) or to multiple stereo/mono files. This would be very handy if
> working with surround audio, for example... But for now, the export
> could be hardcoded to use the first bus.

BTW, I just started to use JACK (it works great with the realtime-lsm
module and my new soundcard). Wouldn't it be quite easy to add more JACK
output ports to traverso? Instead of "Master Out", just create a bunch
of outputs like "Playback <N>" and for starters apply the sheet gain to
all of them and use the first two for rendering exports.

Another thing regarding JACK in Traverso, I've noticed that if the JACK
samplerate isn't equal to the one used in Traverso, the playback speed
will be wrong. Perhaps this is fixed in CVS?

I'd though JACK would have built-in samplerate conversion so that
clients could connect with different rates and all was converted to the
actual hardware rate, but I guess this isn't the case?

--
/Jonatan         [ http://kymatica.com ]