Re: [Traverso-devel] news

From: reinhard
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] news
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 22:15:43 +0100

Am Monday 04 February 2008 15:06:23 schrieb Remon:
> Hi Reinhard,
>
> > you better should use re-writables instead, at least for testing
> > purposes... ;)
>
> Hehe, didn't have one around ...
>
> > After a looooooong time I had a look at the latest cvs stuff, since I
> > have some audio work to be done. Wow, traverso made some fine progress :)
>
> Yes, a lot of stuff has been worked on, and it becomes more and more
> something that is worth working with :)
>
> > Just some problem with jack, because the connections are gone after
> > traverso restart or, sorry to say ;) , crashes!
>
> Yes, Traverso doesn't do autoconnection of jack ports. If you have an idea
> how this can be handled, please mention it on the traverso-devel, the
> forums or bugtracker.

hehe, this was my intention - I just used the wrong send-to address ;)
well, I don't know how to code this, but qtractor or muse for example do the
automatic connection, so maybe you can have a look in their code?

> And you managed to crash Traverso? Cool :P
> Seriously though, how did you manage to crash it, when adding some LV2
> plugin perhaps ?

hhmmm, your assumption might be correct.
I will pay attention next time...

> > Also plugin problem: When I add the vinyl plugin it affects the whole
> > project/sheet. Bug or supposed?
>
> It's a plugin that 'generates' (i.e. it doesn't need any input to generate
> output) a vinyl effect, and as such I think it is expected behavior ? (Due
> the fact the plugin was added to a Track, and the Track isn't muted, or
> soloed out... so despite not being a clip in the track, it still gets
> rendered..)

ok, sounds reasonable ...
btw - is it possible to add plugins to a clip?

> > And what about [ W E ] and [ E R ] ? I REALLY MISSING IT!!!! ;)
>
> Hmyeah, I figured that it's a little bit overkill, and moved to [ E ] only,
> but if you think they still serve a good purpose, then I can sure re-add
> these :)

yeah, personally I would like to have since I don't like the actual behaviour
that the clip edge jumps directly to the cursor position when doing [ E ]
although I actually wanted to adapt it JUST A BIT...

> > BTW: Finally some suggestions on that...
> > Also what about having  [ K ] < ARROWS > and [ K ] [ ARROWS ] actions in
> > general/consistent for fine tunings like actually possible with [ D ] [
> > ARROW UP/DOWN ] on a gain node or gain in general? I would really love to
> > have that as a basic principle!
>
> Yes indeed, it was a new jog feature introduced not that long ago. A couple
> of actions were modified to make use of it, most of them have the mouse
> scroll wheel mapped to those actions as well, in conjunction with up/down
> arrow keys.
>
> However, I'm not aware of any actions that can make use of it right now?

well, so far I just found the use of arrows for gain and drag.

> Besides, you can created/add your own keymappings by creating your own
> keymap file, loadable at runtime ( see the preferences dialog).
> Copy paste the shipped keymap file to ~/.traverso/keymaps/yourkeymap.xml
> (or whatever name you find more appealing) and start hacking it, but
> beware, it's tricky stuff :)

ok, will have a look next time ;)

> > Especially for the zoom stuff!!! ;)
>
> Current cvs has the [ Z ] as horizontal zoom _only_, with mouse scroll
> wheel to zoom vertically (while holding [ Z ] !!), or [ Z ] + < V > to
> toggle between horizontal/vertical zooming.
> I'm not sure if it adds any value to add [ Z ] + <up/dow arrow> ?
> If it does, can you please explain what you have in mind?

e.g.
zoom in vertical == [ Z ]  <up arrow>
zoom out vertical == [ Z ]  <down arrow>
zoom in horizontal ==  [ Z ]  <right arrow>
zoom out horizontal ==  [ Z ]  <left arrow>
zoom full in horizontal == [ Z ] <<left/right arrow>>
zoom full out vertical == [ Z ]  <up/down arrow>
zoom to fit screen == [ Z ] < 0 > or [ Z 0 ]
revert zoom to last used zoom factor == << Z >>

> Great to see you back here, the jmb concept has been worked out quite a bit
> more, and feedback from you is of course very much appreciated :)

hehe, you will live to rue it!
I will give more comments when I have some free time ;)