Re: [Traverso-devel] news

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] news
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 14:49:31 +0100

Hi,

> > Yes, Traverso doesn't do autoconnection of jack ports. If you have an
> > idea how this can be handled, please mention it on the traverso-devel,
> > the forums or bugtracker.
>
> hehe, this was my intention - I just used the wrong send-to address ;)
> well, I don't know how to code this, but qtractor or muse for example do
> the automatic connection, so maybe you can have a look in their code?

It's not about the coding, but the 'intended behavior'. Most people dislike
automatic connection, since they make their own (advanced) connections to
establish a routing which is most likely different then that from the
autoconnect.

So if you _want_ autoconnection, then it's most likely you use Traverso as the
_only_ jack client, and have the alsa ports connected to the traverso ports,
in which case I would _highly_ recommend to _not_use_jack_ but the Alsa
driver instead :)

Anyways, you can of course add a bug/wish to the bug tracker for jack
autoconnection, so I can't forget about that. (with addition of an 'use
autoconnect' preference option for the Jack Driver)

> ok, sounds reasonable ...
> btw - is it possible to add plugins to a clip?

Technically yes, but the GUI needs to be updated. There are some ideas
floating around how we can best handle the visualization for audio/track
plugins.

> > > And what about [ W E ] and [ E R ] ? I REALLY MISSING IT!!!! ;)
> >
> > Hmyeah, I figured that it's a little bit overkill, and moved to [ E ]
> > only, but if you think they still serve a good purpose, then I can sure
> > re-add these :)
>
> yeah, personally I would like to have since I don't like the actual
> behaviour that the clip edge jumps directly to the cursor position when
> doing [ E ] although I actually wanted to adapt it JUST A BIT...

ah, but these actions would not change that!! I mean, if [ E ] would not let
the edge jump to the mouse cursor, then it would be OK too, right ?

> > I'm not sure if it adds any value to add [ Z ] + <up/dow arrow> ?
> > If it does, can you please explain what you have in mind?
>
> e.g.
> zoom in vertical == [ Z ]  <up arrow>
> zoom out vertical == [ Z ]  <down arrow>

Your right hand holds the mouse most of the time, so lifting it up to use the
arrow keys is slower then using the scroll wheel?
But sure, it would be a matter of copy pasting the keymap definition for this
one, replacing mousewheel with up/downarrow :)

> zoom in horizontal ==  [ Z ]  <right arrow>
> zoom out horizontal ==  [ Z ]  <left arrow>
> zoom full in horizontal == [ Z ] <<left/right arrow>>
> zoom full out vertical == [ Z ]  <up/down arrow>
> zoom to fit screen == [ Z ] < 0 > or [ Z 0 ]
> revert zoom to last used zoom factor == << Z >>

Yes, they can be added, now that arbitrary zoom levels are possible, though
it's still not finished yet :(
On the other hand, the right hand lifting and moving aspect comes to mind here
as well. Why not add them to the 'context menu' of Zoom? So it becomes [ Z ]
+ <right mouse button>, select option, done.
Me thinks, that's faster :)

BTW, what about this one:

[ D ] + <Z>LR ?

As in, move clip, press the Z key, at which point the clip no longer is moved
when moving the mouse LR, but the horizontal zoom factor is adjusted?
Just a fancy feature, to mask the fact that a Copy to clipboard, past from
clipboard is not there yet :)

Greetings,