Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip Grouping, how to deal with them

From: Remon
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] AudioClip Grouping, how to deal with them
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:01:46 +0100

> > > Do you guys agree with the proposed behavior and key actions?
> >
> > Generally yes, but I see some potential for confusion in multitrack
> > projects. E.g. when you do [S] + <F>, but the next clip is on another
> > track somewhere off-screen. If you zoomed to tracks 1-8, but you select
> > clips on tracks 9-24 without noticing, you may cause a horrible mess.

Ah, but that's not how I intended it to be. The [ S  ] + < D > (not F, sorry,
my mistake) will add the next next clip(s) as far as the selection covers a
track, which in case of no mouse movements means: the pointed track.
Anyways, I'll try to implement it as I have it in mind now, so we can then
actually start playing with it and see if it works out!

> yep, good point!
> But the user should also be aware of the fact that there are very powerfull
> actions concerning groups/hard-selections!
>
> btw - two other actions needed, respectively a small change of the concept
> IMO.
>
> < S >                         : Do hard-select pointed Clip. When
> hard-selecting another clip
> the other/initially selected clip will be de-selected, so no need to
> explicitly de-select a clip.
> << S D >>             : Add pointed Clip to hard-selection.
> << S A >>             : Remove pointed Clip from hard-selection.
> [ S D ]                       : Start a jog-create to add more clips to
> hard-selection.
> [ S A ]                       : Start a jog-create to remove some clips from
> hard-selection.

I tend to dis-agree, for 2 simple reasons: << S D >> and << AS >> are
tremendously hard to do, instead you should use < SD > and < AS > and even
then, it's still hard because it's a Double Key press and release action with
the 'little finger' involved, and I'm having a hard time to make < AS > work!
What often happens is that the action becomes: < S > which then often leads to
selecting a single clip, and deselecting all the others!

Reason 2: There is no single reason why one would select 1 clip _only_, if you
select a clip then you _will_ select another one, or two or etc....
When you decided that a clip you added to the selection with < S > shouldn't
have been selected, type < S > again, and all is fine, and there is _much_
less chance to ruin a selection by an < S > action on some clip.

And why 2 (difficult) actions for starting a Selection? [ S ] will do
perfectly fine?

> Another btw ;)
> What about hard-selecting tracks?

NO WAY!

(well, not until audio clip selection is implemented, routing, plugins for
clips and so on :P )

Adding Plugins to AudioClips is certainly possible, the 'only' thing
preventing it is the lack of visualization ....
(E.g. the AudioClip Gain, or Fader if you like is managed by a GainEnvelope
Plugin (native))

Greetings,