[Traverso-devel] Hello

From: John Emmas
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Hello
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 11:14:05 -0000

Hi there.  I’m a C++ developer with experience of DAW design and file
interchange formats (mostly, the ‘pro’ ones, like OMF and AAF).  I came
across Traverso by accident, this morning.

Traverso looks highly interesting although it’s clearly in the formative
stages of its development.  I wondered if I could make a few constructive
suggestions?  Firstly, on the "Getting Involved" web page, it would be
handy if you could give potential devs an idea about the basic needs for
contributing to Traverso.  For example, which compilers are supported?  Is
development done using command-line tools or via an IDE?  What 3rd party
libraries are needed etc?

Also, if you haven’t already considered it, I would very, very, VERY
strongly recommend that you take a look at the Ardour project.  It’s another
cross-platform DAW – but only for OS-X and Linux (no Windows version,
although they’ve been promising one for years).  Ardour is also GPL licensed
so this might offer a quick route to getting new features into Traverso.  In
particular, I’d recommend taking a look at the Ardour session (i.e. project)
format.  Like Traverso’s, it’s XML based and is remarkably similar to a
Traverso project.  It’s more comprehensive of course – because Ardour has
been around for a long time and already has things like automation, VST
support and a built-in mixer.  The basic principles however are essentially
similar to those of Traverso.  If you could adopt Ardour's session format,
you might benefit greatly.  For example, I’ve already designed a plug-in for
Ardour which allows it to import AAF files.  Compatibility would therefore
allow Traverso to import projects from other systems, such as Pro Tools
and Nuendo.

Good luck with the Traverso project.

John