Re: [Traverso-devel] Hello

From: John Emmas
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Hello
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 06:48:23 -0000

Hi Remon,

Traverso has no Buses right no, so how exactly would an Ardour import look
like ?
If you have ideas or suggestions, I'll very much welcome them. Some other
people allready recommended creating an Ardour import thing, but after
asking how that would work, it remained silent...

The lack of busses shouldn't pose a massive problem.  In Ardour, the tracks
that you see on a timeline are called 'Diskstreams'.  Each Diskstream maps
to a mixer channel which can then be routed to a buss.  However, the mixer
channels can alternatively be routed straight to the master output.  For
compatibility with Traverso, you'd effectively need to map each Diskstream
straight to the master output.  Preferably, this would be done by an object
that would represent a mixer channel (but currently unused).

There's a much bigger problem looming though....  If I understand it
correctly, Traverso's timeline tracks are all mono audio channels (is that
correct?).  If so, that's a different arrangement to Ardour.  In Ardour,
each timeline track (Diskstream) can have any number of audio channels.  So
a track can be mono or stereo.  Or it can have 4 channels (for Dolby LCRS).
Or 6 channels (for Dolby 5.1) etc.  I guess that's quite different from
Traverso.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Remon Sijrier" <address@hidden>