Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso, A/b

From: Anthony Bisset
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Traverso, A/b
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2008 15:36:49 -0800 (PST)

Hi Remon,

Thank you for offering some time to show me around. I already started
taking notes on my first impressions of Traverso & the web site, but a
DSPaudio project has kept me busy this last week. I plan to start thinking
hard about Traverso on this coming Tuesday.

Also, I had better spend a few hours looking through past discussions on
the forums.

> When you say that traverso's design is clean, do you mean the GUI or the
  code?

GUI,
Traverso 0.42 struck me as extremely clean on first look. This is what
attracted me to download it. Minimalism is really nice these days
and makes it easier to breath and focus on what's important. Too many
features at the top level of the interface can create a seizure for first
time new users.

When I met with Alesis in 2001 I learned a nice design philosophy:

"Simple necessary actions on the top layer, more advanced features 1 level
deep and finally, obscure commands buried."

The Andromeda interface followed this principle (and was pretty good for
having so many features).

It takes a lot of time, testing and role playing to develop a good
software workflow. But more importantly the design has to come from things
this team enjoys and believes in, not just good project development
practices. We have to create from the heart to enjoy and continue.

I'm really curious about this teams musical interests, recording projects
and preferred tools. Maybe hanging out on IRC makes sense, I'll try and
reach your channel next week.

I wish to write more now but my project list is staring at me!
Anthony