Re: [Traverso-devel] Re: audio clip selection behavior

From: ben levitt
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Re: audio clip selection behavior
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:17:01 -0800

Hello,

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM, Remon Sijrier <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I think the selection state should be restored when undoing the
>> deletion of selected tracks.  Because if you select some clips, and
>> then Delete Clips, and then undo, then doing Delete Clips again should
>> do the same thing it did before.  :)
>
> Sure, it does so, it's just that the 'group of clips' that was removed isn't
> added again to the 'global selection'. So my question was more like: should
> we set the group selected again or not after the un-do action. The history
> stack doesn't know about selection at all, it just sees a RemoveClip action,
> which in turn operates on a ClipGroup.

Right.  :)  I understand that, and was suggesting that the restored
clips be added back into the sheet with the same selection status they
had when they were deleted.  My reasoning is that if you delete a
group of selected clips, and then undo it, you want to have the clips
added back to the selection group, because if the user now wants to
Redo the delete action by deleting one of the clips again, it will
only work if all the clips are once again selected.

>> I actually agree that <left mouse button>  (but not [left mouse
>> button]) should select a clip.  And Ctrl-<left mouse button> should
>> add/remove the clip from the set of selected clips.  We could have
>> other keys do that too, but we might as well make use of what users
>> already expect where we can.  And I think this is definitely something
>> that users will expect.  But I also agree that we should try it out
>> and see how it feels.  :)  I think it will feel right, but I could
>> imagine that it might make it harder to move a clip, or make it harder
>> to keep a set of clips selected if an accidental click deselects
>> everything...  It'll be a fun design issue to play with.
>

> That's exactly what I thought, which is why I proposed the current behavior:
> no chance to accidentally deselect the whole selection!
> On the other hand, the keymap is rather flexible, so adding more buttons that
> do the same is no problem, at least, mapping the left mouse button to yet
> some more functions.....
>
> Anyways, I think that deselecting a clip can be as well mapped to the select
> clip key, as in 'toggle the clip selected on/off'. Remember that the need to
> select a clip is _always_ to select more then one to dispatch an action to
> multiple clips at once!

Yeah, I could see that being a problem.  But since in every other app,
selection is accomplished by left-clicking, I was thinking that we
should at least try it out to avoid confusion.  :)  But we should look
at other options too.  What about changing the concept from selection
to something like creating a group?  Call the commands Add to Group,
Remove from Group, Add All to Group, or something similar...

Or since we want to optimize for selection of multiple clips, and
avoid accidentally clearing the selection, we could have left-click
toggle selection status of the clicked clip.  That way you wont clear
the whole selection with one accidental click...

Just some ideas.  But hopefully tonight I can start playing with these
ideas instead of just talking about them!

Ben