[Traverso-devel] one key to rule them all

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: [Traverso-devel] one key to rule them all
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:37:08 +0200

Hi,

A feature that exists for some time, and probably less known is:

[ K ] + < K >

It reads as: hold a key, say D and then press/release another one.

[ D ] stands for: drag an item around.
[ D ] +  < left arrow > drag the item one pixel to the left
[ D ] + < right arrow > drag the item one pixel to the right
[ D ] + < S > drag to the previous snap pos (S is left of D)
[ D ] + < F > drag to next snap pos (F is right of D)

The problem lies in the cursor moving. Moving the cursors should be readily
available without 'browsing' (either using the qwerty or mouse cursor) to an
item, and then using [ D ] on it.

W and shift are used for WC and playback cursor movement. Moving them one
pixel left/right is also done by left/right arrow key.
But moving it to next/prev snap position is rather hard: using the S and F
key? Doesn't work for [ SHIFT ], that is, it's very hard to do with only the
left hand.

Alex suggested to create a 'toggle snap on/off' for left/right arrow key:

[ W ] + < S > : toggle on snap for arrow keys, then still holding:
[ W ] + < left/right arrow> : move item to prev/next snap position instead of
moving it one pixel at a time.

This means S is no longer available for moving a clip with [ D ] to it's
previous snap position.

Question is: should we move to a 'toggle snap on/off for arrow keys' approach
only using a 'hold action' like [ W ] or [ D ]

Or leave it up to the user to configure the keys for next/previous snap
position?

Of course, we don't have to use the S key for toggling snap on/off for an
active hold command's arrow keys.

Enfin, it's in git, and you can test it with:

[ D ] + S or F to move to previous next snap position
[ D ] + < enter > and move to previous/next snap position with arrow keys: <
left/right arrow >

I used the enter/return key so you can test the difference in usage.

Hope I made the case clear.

Greetings,

Remon

P.S.
Some stuff only is mentioned in the forum, so I'll do it here:
Moving items by left/right arrow this way has a 'speed' adjustment thing now.
Hold the D key for moving a clip or any other kind of moving an object around
in Traverso.
then move it around with left/right arrow key. Still hold the keys pressed,
and press the up/down arrow key. The speed the item is moved around becomes
faster/slower now.
Just use it, then you'll see what I mean :)
A feature only in git btw  hehe