Re: [Traverso-devel] jack bus confusion

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] jack bus confusion
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2010 22:33:10 +0200

> greetings!

from earth :)

You probably are using an existing project. When you have jack as the audio
driver, and add a new track, only then jack ports are created (in/out) for
that track, and the ports have the same name as the track name.
These jack ports are stored so after a project close/open the jackports will
again show up in the patchbay.
These 'audiobuses' are stored separate from the track itself, so right now
they are persistent even if the track itself is removed. Maybe not that good
an idea after all hehe.

the confusing part is when you look in the input/output routing section, there
you will see an item that has the exact same name as the track name.
it's the 'container' that holds your jack ports. it's internally called
'audiobus' in Traverso, and it's simply a list of jack ports, or alsa channels
(the grayed out ones, which have the Capture 1-2 names etc)

I guess the solution is to detect the driver in use for a project, and then
simply create jack in/out ports for each and every track, and not showing them
in the in/out routing section of the track manager ?
(that means you can't use the post send feature on jack ports, that is,
changing gain send and balance)

The idea behind making it possible to 'remove' those jack ports is that you
can add them back later, or re-use jack ports for another track...

The mechanism for adding/removing jack ports is there, I just need to add a
button to add/remove them so right now, once you removed the jack ports they
can't be re-added.

Anyway, suggestions are welcome!

My own suggestion:
* the new track dialog gives the option to create a track with n channels (so
no longer mono/stereo, just n channels defaulting to 1)
* this channel count is stored in the project file, and when the driver ==
jackd, then create channelcount in/out ports.
* maybe differentiate in/out ports i.e. have the option to only have jack in
ports, only jack outports or both. (a checkbox for in and a checkbox for out)
* the channelcount can be changed during the lifetime of the track.??

Remon

P.S.
The qwerty navigation in git is a little bit broken, I uploaded a change I
didn't want to upload since it was broken, it's one of the final steps of
polishing up the qwerty navigation but it just happens I'm out of time, busy
at work due holiday season.