[Traverso-devel] Key shorcuts re-evaluated

From: Remon Sijrier
Subject: [Traverso-devel] Key shorcuts re-evaluated
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2011 21:48:57 +0100

Hi list,

It has been quite silent for a while, so I thought, lets make some noise here!

I've been using the keyboard 'shortcuts' in Traverso for a long time now, and
I'd like to propose a change, based on using the concept for a long time and
valuable user feedback.

Currently you can dispatch a 'shortcut' by means of pressing one key, or 2
keys at the same time, holding a key, or press and hold 2 keys at the same
time.
Examples are: [ G ] for changing the gain, < G N > to normalize an audioclip
gain value, [ D ] for dragging clips around, [ D V ] for vertical dragging
clips around, < S > to select clips (and now also curve nodes) etc.

The downside of the whole system is that you have to press/release the
shortcut in a given amount of time, around 150 milli seconds.

Users find this hard to do, and for 'quick' actions it's in fact not quick.
Example: muting 4 tracks. If you go quickly over the 4 tracks with the mouse
pressing the mute shortcut key on each track, the 150 millisecond timeout
actually delays it enough to only mute 1 or 2 tracks due missing the
'press/release' timeout, the mouse no longer hovers the pointed track when the
timeout arrives.

OK, so the proposal is this: Simplify the shortcut system to just one key at a
time that fires off instantly as soon as you press it.
This means you no longer can do < E P > or [ F G ] and so on.

Instead, functionality will now be centered around one key only.
E.g.: G  will be the Gain key. When you press it, you can change the gain by
moving the mouse or using the up/down arrow key, or you can change the gain
value by using numerical input. After releasing G the new value will be
applied.

P is the Pan key, press P and use mouse or left and right arrow key to change
the pan, or press R to reset pan.

S is Select
If you press/release it it'll (de)select the item that has currently the
'focus' if you keep it pressed, you can extend the selection by using arrow
keys, clear it by pressing C and so on.

The primary idea behind it is that each key once being pressed can execute new
functions when another key is pressed.
These keys will show up in the 'context help' widget once you have the key
pressed, basically giving unlimited 'shortcuts' in a very understanding and
easy to learn way, without doing difficult key presses.

Examples:
http://traverso-daw.org/screenies/shortcuts/zoom_active.png
http://traverso-daw.org/screenies/shortcuts/drag_active.png

Now is the time to agree, complain or do nothing :D

Besides working on the workflow features in T, I'll try to fix the routing asap
which means fixing the jack support and getting all the new features in git
stabilized, polished or disabled, depending on how much time it takes to finish
the important bits.

Best regards,