xwem-devel

Re: [XWEM]: xwem and gnus

From: Sergey Bolshakov
Subject: Re: [XWEM]: xwem and gnus
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:55:28 +0300

 > Sergey Bolshakov <address@hidden> writes:
 >> Hi.
 >> Got time to try latest-greatest xwem (rc2), seems working well.
 >> One, probably hard, question: are there ways to not block xwem
 >> while sitting in gnus and fetching large/slow groups ?
 >> Yes, i know, xemacs isn't a perfect OS :). Or should i ask
 >> gnus people instead ?

 > We nothing can do in xwem to avoid packages from blocking.  However
 > smart packages which does (dispatch-event (next-event)) while waiting
 > for some condition - will perfectly work with xwem.

 > Also unfortunately that XEmacs can't operate on non-blocking sockets
 > to perform connections.  I.e.  xemacs blocks when connecting to some
 > host.  Another unfortunately that Xt(base toolkit of XEmacs) also can
 > block waiting some event to occur.  Basically we can't do anything
 > with it, however xwem provides much to avoid blocking.

Yep, my expectations were somewhat similar. *sigh*

 > Maybe i will try to implement non-blocking connects using DSO in order
 > to substitute `open-network-stream' function to work in next way:

 >    - Schedule connection to host:port using non-blocking socket.

 >    - Sit in dispatch-event/next-event waiting for connection to open.

 >    - Setup stream

 >    - Return

 > Such implementation will allow XEmacs to continue running even if
 > `open-network-stream' will hang for minutes.

It should be great, really.
BTW, if you feel brave enough for that thing, maybe it's a bit easier
to implement anoter useful (well, in some degree :):
one security-braindamaged distro :) has X running with -nolisten tcp
by default, so having option to connect via unix socket would be fine.

 > gnus people most possible will answer: "We can't do anything with it,
 > because we have no control, XEmacs just blocks waiting for
 > connection." :)

Yeah.

 > BTW: please post a screenshot of your xwem desktop somewhere.
Nothing special, especially in comparision with SY ones.

PS SY: nice 404 :)