zonecheck-tests

Re: [zonecheck-tests] alias to an alias ?

From: Stephane D'Alu
Subject: Re: [zonecheck-tests] alias to an alias ?
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 10:45:30 +0200

On Mon, Jun 23, 2003 at 08:39:52PM +0200, demon [d3m0n] wrote:

> Howdy folks!
>
> First of all, I can't access the archive to search information.

It was normal, the mailing list manager (mailman) doesn't provide
an empty web page for the archive, ie: you were the first to post ;)

> Second, my question.
>
> It seems to me you guys know the answer:
>
> Is it bad to make a cname to a cname
>
> a in cname b
> b in cname c
> c in a w.x.y.z
>
> as long as you don't create loops
> a in cname b
> b in cname a
> :)

It's not so sure that in the long term (after several DNS configuration
changes), you won't finally create a loop...

> it takes more time to resolve, but it can be done (with bind at least)
> Should I avoid it, and what reasons can I give to ask them to change the
> situation? (RFC???)

You can refer to RFC1912 p.6 (Common DNS Operational and Configuration Errors):

   Also, having chained records such as CNAMEs pointing to CNAMEs may
   make administration issues easier, but is known to tickle bugs in
   some resolvers that fail to check loops correctly.  As a result some
   hosts may not be able to resolve such names.

Sincerly

--
Stephane D'Alu