zonecheck-tests

Re: [zonecheck-tests] Zonecheck and MS Active Directory DNS

From: 'Stephane Bortzmeyer'
Subject: Re: [zonecheck-tests] Zonecheck and MS Active Directory DNS
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2007 09:26:05 +0200

On Tue, Sep 04, 2007 at 05:17:40PM +0100,
 Ross Taylor <address@hidden> wrote
 a message of 54 lines which said:

> The only way to use identical SOA is to go back to a 'flat' zone
> file.  Utarget.fr is hosted on the same Windows dns system as
> sksl.com, but I have had to make this into a flat zone file to pass
> the zonecheck tests.

Unsure of what to do, I nevertheless registered the issue:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?20975

For the registration rules of ".fr", you will have to go through the
official formal process ("Comité de Concertation", "Groupe de Travail
Technique" and so on).

> Im not normally a fan of windows, but in this case the AD system is
> great, because if a server dies, rather than restoring zones from
> backups or reconfiguring a secondary into a primary, I can just move
> the IP to another DNS server in the AD, which is already reporting
> itself as a primary.

Putting its name in the SOA is completely pointless for that
purpose. From the outside, there is no primary/secondary, only
authoritative nameservers, all being equal.