[Adonthell-general] Further announcements

From: gnurou
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Further announcements
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 13:35:13 +0100

I'm quite surprised by the low amount of downloads (only 333 by now,
while the old "crappy" 0.2 nearly reaches 10000!),
and it seems that the project is not enough advertised. Freshmeat.net
entries scroll at speed light, and linuxgames.com & happypenguin.org
doesn't target a very large audience. Moreover, making a search on
Adonthell on google, you find plenty of entries, but most refer our
old version, and I don't know how they are updated.

What I thought is that we could make it at a larger audience. The best
place I see for now is Georg's Brave GNU World column. As you know
it's world wide read monthly column, translated in many languages and
even printed in many Linux paper magazines. In a recent column (the
one where he talks about freeciv I think) he mentionned that he'd like
to hear from free games. I really think this is the best place we
could advertise on, because the game looks very neat, it's still in
development and we are seeking for developers. Absolutely the kind of
projects Georg is looking for. Tell me what you think about it.

The second thing that we are lacking is binaries. Although I know it's
not that important for developers who can as well compile it
themselves (as we depend only on very few and popular libraries), it
seems quite more serious to have some available, and will only allow
us to reach a larger audience. I can produce Debian binaries (and
maybe become a Debian developer, if needed, to put them in Debian's
unstable repository), but we'd need rpms too. The best would be that
further versions of popular distributions includes Waste's Edge (as
they did for Tuxracer for example, after all it's perfectly and easily
playable and would be of interest for them). Maybe we can drop a mail
to them too.

Finally, an important part too is your local Linux paper
magazines. Send them a short email with a quick description (don't
forget the keywords rpg, playable, need developers, etc..) so they
know it exists and will include it on their CD. Maybe we would have a
review too, hopefully ;)

These are some random ideas. I'm willing to write to Georg (I have the
time this afternoon), but if someone with a better English want to do
it, feel free.

Please tell what you think about it! :)

Alex.