Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules Comments

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Rules Comments
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:45:03 +0200

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 08:53:43 -0600 Nathan Barnes wrote:

> On Saturday 30 March 2002 10:12 am, you wrote:
> > One topic you completely forgot about is the 'alignment' thing. Like
> > what factors will determine NPC's behaviour during conversations and
> > all that. We already discussed that we don't want to have a
> > black/white scheme. More something based on the individual NPC. So
> > that'd be rather an attribute of NPCs, how much they like the
> > player.
>
> Sorry to just burst in like this, but I have a few ideas related to to
> alighnment and skills.  Whether the depth they would add is worth the
> difficulty of implementing them depends on the implementer.

The implementation depends on the way alignment will be handled, but I
doubt that it will be difficult to do so. So yes, part of the abilities,
spells and equipment should be limited to characters with the right
background, so to speak.

> The only Nintendo game that I can think of that uses this sort of
> behaviour-based alignment system is the Nintendo port of Ultima IV.
> On the computer, Fallout I and II have something like this and I think
> it adds an interesting level to the game.

Yeah. It's a way to give the player some feedback as to his behaviour.
It'll show that his deeds have an impact on the game world and that no
action is without consequences. OTOH, there mustn't be too many
restrictions. But used in the right amount it will certainly add to the
game.