Re: [Adonthell-general] Waste's Edge i18n

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Waste's Edge i18n
Date: 10 Apr 2002 22:59:34 +0200

> I finally added (very basic) gettext support to the engine, and here is
> the first shot of a localized Waste's Edge. As you may see, it's pretty
> ugly as all the special characters like 'ä' or 'ß' ar missing in our
> font. True type font support will cure this though.

Woah! Feuque! :) It really makes it! :) Simply excellent. Joel said the
TT font support for 0.3 should be available soon - that's not really
complicated, but needs a few API change (as you will specify your font
color and size at loading)

> Should the translation follow the original text as close as possible, or
> should it just have the same meaning?

I'd say it should have the same meaning. You just can't always write a
sentence in English the same way you'd do in another language. Just take
myself as an exemple - most of my English screws on this list comes from
the fact I try to translate word-to-word what I think in French ;)

> Should names be translated? E.g. Lady 'Silberhaar' instead of
> 'Silverhair'. But how would you translate 'Waste's Edge'? ;)

I think names should stay as they are. Translating them would sound
weird. Contractions that are made in English can't be made in others
languages. Also, if we have networked play later, players must refer to
NPCs with the same name, no matter which language version they use.

> Some advice (and possibly help with the actual work) would be very
> welcome.

> Anyway, right now only the dialogues are translateble. So during the
> next days I'll go through the engine and add gettext support where
> needed. The same with the various python scripts that contain text. Then
> I'll generate a catalogue template with all of Waste's Edge's text, so
> that people can have a go at the translation ASAP.

You really did a great job :) The result is amazing!

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org