Re: [Adonthell-general] Waste's Edge i18n

From: nilsfohrbeck
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Waste's Edge i18n
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:57:58 +0200

address@hidden schrieb am 10.04.02:
> I finally added (very basic) gettext support to the engine, and here is
> the first shot of a localized Waste's Edge. As you may see, it's pretty
> ugly as all the special characters like 'ä' or 'ß' ar missing in our
> font. True type font support will cure this though.
>
> On the matter of translation itself: I started to translate the first
> dialogue, but the first few lines already showed me that I am a bad
> translator. Actually, I'm not really sure how to translate the stuff.
>
> Should the translation follow the original text as close as possible, or
> should it just have the same meaning?
>
> Should names be translated? E.g. Lady 'Silberhaar' instead of
> 'Silverhair'. But how would you translate 'Waste's Edge'? ;)
>
> Some advice (and possibly help with the actual work) would be very
> welcome.
>

> Anyway, right now only the dialogues are translateble. So during the
> next days I'll go through the engine and add gettext support where
> needed. The same with the various python scripts that contain text. Then
> I'll generate a catalogue template with all of Waste's Edge's text, so
> that people can have a go at the translation ASAP.
>
> Kai

I think the translation does not have to be as close to the original as
possible, it should be good in its own terms (each language works slightly
different, so a direct translation is quite difficult). I suppose in the German
version, the character;s names should be left in English, because most people
are used to English names from films ect. If you want me to, I can help with
the translation into German. Just send me the English dialogues, I'll translate
them. Nils

Sie wollen mehr? Mehr Speicher, mehr Mail, mehr Erlebnis, mehr Leistung,
mehr Prämie unter http://club.web.de/?mc=021102