[Adonthell-general] website improvement (?)

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] website improvement (?)
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:57:06 +0200

As stuff isn't working the way I expected it, I'd like to hear some
opinions first before I proceed.

My idea is to display sort of an information page once a user downloads
Adonthell. Something like this.

  Thank you for downloading Adonthell. We hope you'll enjoy it!
  -- The Adonthell Team

  Data Package
  Remember: to play Adonthell, you'll also have to download the matching
  data package.

  Documentation
  If you have trouble compiling Adonthell, please refer to the INSTALL
  and NEWBIE files that come with Adonthell. The README contains
  information about Adonthell's configuration options.

  Fullscreen Mode
  The Fullscreen Howto at the bottom of the NEWBIE file gives valuable
  hints for running Adonthell in fullscreen mode.

  Feedback
  We would like to hear your opinion about Adonthell. You may post
  comments and rate Adonthell at the Linux Game Tome and freshmeat.net.

  Keep yourself informed
  To get notified of new releases, you can  subscribe to the
  adonthell-announce mailing list. It's a read-only list with very low
  traffic.

  Anonymous CVS access
  You can get the bleeding edge of Adonthell directly from our CVS
  repository.

The main reason is that so far a couple of people asked about running
Adonthell in a larger window and stuff like that. And while most info
comes with the sources, if people don't know that it is there, they
won't have a look. So I thought an additional page with all kinds of
useful information that pops up after downloading would be nice.

I don't really think that stuff should go directly onto the download
page (as it's pretty big already), but if I'd just put a link there most
people won't read it (and ask me instead ;)).

The problem is, from the download cgi you can either redirect people to
the actual download, or to the info page, but not both. The only
possible solution seems to be to redirect to the info page, and put
something like<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0;
URL="http://freesoftware.fsf.org/download/...";> onto that page. However,
I'm not sure if all browsers support this. (Opera for example allows to
turn such redirections off.) So you had to add something like "If your
download doesn't start immediately, please click here" to the page, and
people might have to click twice before they get what they want.

The second issue is whether it's really okay to force people to visit
that info page. Sure, it tries to be helpful, but it could still be
annoying.

So I'm not really sure what to do. Any opinions?