Re: [Adonthell-general] Non-code writing

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Non-code writing
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 10:00:41 +0200

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:09:47 -0400 Josh Glover wrote:

> Andrew Phillips wrote:
> > It appears to me that Adonthell takes place in the Tolkienan world.
> > If so, are we allowed to make reference to fun things like Isildur's
> > Bane or Durin's Bane, etc?
>
> Tolkien-like, I believe. While we are pretty inspired by Tolkien (and
> Ultima, and Final Fantasy, as I recall), we are not using his world
> directly. Of course, I am of the opinion that, if you want to make
> light-hearted, cryptic reference to Tolkien, our players might get a
> kick out of it.
>
> There is a definite sense of humour to Adonthell, even though it
> aspires to be epic in scope.

Exactly. We have a number of references to Tolkien in our work and in
Waste's Edge as well (Ah. You're still waiting for that windows binary,
Andrew? We'll you'll see it once you play.)

But the world isn't Middle Earth and there are other differences too.
Our Elves die of old age, for example.

As far as source material goes, we still need plenty of it :). The idea
is of course to have some content for the website. But such things also
help when creating quests and NPC's. And finally, the plan is to include
books in the game that you can actually read in instead of just
displaying the title as we did in Waste's Edge.

So creation myths and other folklore are very welcome. If James hasn't
done that already, I can send you the current plot draft. Some of the
material in there migth be useful.