[Adonthell-general] Fw: Ideas, review of rules... WARNING does not conta

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Fw: Ideas, review of rules... WARNING does not contain any Yeti
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2002 00:07:28 +0200

And another one:

Begin forwarded message:

Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2002 08:26:58 -0400
From: Riux <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Hi there,

one quick question, is it possible to change the resolution
or is it fixed at something that looks like 320x200/240 ?
Something like fullscreen, with antialiasing... or dunno

My main subject
I just played the Waste's Edge and was looking at the file
rules_v0.5.pdf. So I write to let you(girls/guys) know what I think of
it.

About the rule set :

1.2 Attributes and Properties

this is more of a personal matter, but I don't
realy like RPGs where you "buy" rank points.

For instance, a player that allways kills
monsters using weapons shoudn't be able to
be better in magic because he decided that he
wanted to spend his points on it.

Points could be accumulated in a way more like this

Strenght:
1- How many creatures did you kill with brute force
2- How you select the best weapon to do the most damage
        (a sword can't cut an armor, but a club can stunt)
Hardness:
1- The more you get hit, the more you develope resistance
    (can also work in a certain way against magic as well)
2- The more you train the more stamina you get...
Agility:
1- Using something often gets you used to it, so you're better at it
2- Evading others attacts...
Willpower:
1- Do you work your brain and stay calm even in the worst situation
or do you just act recklessly and try to use bruteforce ?
(more like an annimal)
(think the rest)

This would just make more sens, than shopping for ranks. :)

Hmm, varable skill check (1.4.2) is something quite
interesting. I like the concept.

As for experience per level, I've would have use something
more like exponential, because when you are good in something,
and want to surpass your self, you have to work a lot harder than
if you where realy bad.
Also, it would be cool if it would be transparent to the user.
I prefer when they are no big numbers, because I never found the label
where it was writen my experience, could it be written on my back ??

personal note:
it would be cool to have some hidden features in the game
to speed up the game play. Let say, you have to do a specific
serie of actions and it will alow you to procede to the end of the
game more quickly.

also, online web stats could be cool.
something like:
-player name
-time used to do the game (H)
-total # of days
-player stats at the end of the game
-inventory
-how many time you died ...
-date finished
and the player could have a rating according to it
(or could be just one other crasy idea of me)

Something else, self evolving game.
Remember the level generation in Diablo I ?
That was something quite amasing as every level was different.
Now, what about something similar, but in a story plot fassion ?
I will clarify myself.
Suppose you write the end of the story, with multiple ending,
lots of different dialogs...
Now supose I would go and kill a caracter in the game, all that
caracter's intervention in the game will not occure, resulting in some
weirds results. About like a game of chess, or a game of Go.
In the end, you still win or loose, but your previus actions influenced
the game in a way that can't always be imagined by the player of the
board game. Or in a game developpement, that the programmers didn't
think of.

One last feature, caracter evolution.
It is the most important part of the story plot.
But also, his image in the game.
The player has to feel his caracter becoming more mature...
And the caracters face as well as whole body would change.
A barbarian will have a body full of scarves, while a black magic
user will grow dark hair ... in other words, just picture it :P

Finaly you guys did a good job, and if anything in my mail is usefull,
then use it :) (don't care for credits)

wow, I can't wait to play the squel in ...3002

Jonathan Rioux