[Adonthell-general] Re: Sects and Factions

From: Andrew Michael Phillips
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Re: Sects and Factions
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 00:20:19 -0500 (CDT)

I'm going to outline what I came up with while I was gone, but first I'll
say my piece on what else has been said about the sects and factions:

I think, if we're looking for descriptions more concise than character
alignment and faction alignment, we might go with 'morality' and
'affiliation'. Like others have said, these two would be fairly closely
matched. Good characters don't join groups of evil alchemists, evil
characters would have trouble joining a group like the Yetin Monks or the
Ranger bands, etc.

I just reread that post. I think I goofed a little. If we're thinking of
"which factions has a character joined" the best word might be
affiliation. If we're thinking of the base (or average) morality within a
faction, I think factional alignment might be better.

I think as far as gameplay goes, both measures, however implemented, would
be essential. A player may not monitor his 'alignment' closely, but what
other factors would the engine use to calculate the player character's
right or ability to join any given group? A player character need not join
a faction, but

Regarding Elven magick, I think viewing their magick as art is the best
approach. One ends up with the same results that we've already discussed,
which what art tends to do. Schools and styles of painting form,
dissolve, subsume one another, etc. In the same way, one can get schools
within schools. In game terms, that might mean a school of literal fire
magick (everything from simple fire conjuration to calling down ball
lightning) within the school generally described by the word
"destruction."

I agree with Kai's comment about the elemental styles of magick being
inclusive of each other. There isn't any reason why we can't get creative
with interactions between the elements. Heck, there is an entire
style of kung fu that is based on the interactions between the five
elements that its creators saw in the world.

Given what has been said about the Dwarves, I like the idea of Dwarves
revering what they respect, and having a few 'dark fathers' who would be
revered by the misguided. I think Dwarves have power, but I'm not sure
they would worship outright. Thus, they would have guides and
legends, but not gods, unless they bestowed worship on the ultimate makers
of the world. Their rites, their legends, and their reverenced for sages
would all be an expression of what they do and do not respect.

Now on to what I came up with:
----
The Ranger and Ranger-like companies, which I've already written about to
some extent.

Among Humans, we might have

Bladesmiths: Human weapon-smiths of above average skill (probably not a
joinable faction, but real) (Sulin Turvale, for example)

Black Widow Sisterhood: Female, evil alchemists
Brotherhood of the Fang: Male, evil alchemists
These groups specialize in poisons. In public, they use symbols like a
black rose or nightshade to identify each other.

The Gardeners: Alchemists of both sexes, good. They tend to garden or
farm, as their name suggests. They have other names like "Farmers",
"Herbdames", "Apothecaries," etc. The Gardeners tend to mix freely with
herbal medics who don't practice alchemy. In some places, Gardener circles
even include these non-alchemists. The Gardeners are very discreet about
what they do, in contrast to the Black Widow Sisterhood and Brotherhood of
the Fang. Those groups will openly display their symbols - even the spider
and the serpent - confident that they can dispatch anyone who gets too
close to the truth of what they do and study. (Solmanus)

Runekeepers, Librarians, Scrollhunters: Humans who make it their life to
study myths and legends. This 'group' is one of the most diverse and least
organized. Alchemists of both persuasions belong to it. It asks very
little of its members in terms of alignment. The only requisite for entry
is interest in lore, though someone who loses interest may also be shunned
by the group and thus forced out of it. One can never tell what a
Scrollhunter might have to teach or sell. (Rymon)

As to clerical groups, I think Humans would have the most of any race.
Once we invent gods for the other races, we can simply translate those
gods and creeds into human terms, given the Human tendency for copying.

Half-Elves:

With Half-Elves, the distinction between secular and clerical loses its
meaning. Most Half-Elvish groups have a magickal/spiritual component.

I concluded that they would have shamanic traditions, identifiable by
various totem animals. The groups would also have goals and a philosophy.

For example, a popular tradition would that of the Nightingale or
Skylark, since both birds are notable for when and how they sing.
Nightingales sing at night. I think they're nocturnal creatures. Syklarks
sing while in flight. Given the importance of art and music to Half-Elvish
folk, whether rural or urban, these would be popular, perhaps even as
parts of a single tradition.

Other traditions might be the Dryad (focused on trees and tree spirits),
the Badger (shamans which invoke animal spirits for battle or defense),
the Wolf (popular with Rangers), the Eagle (for frequent travelers), the
Seagull (for seafarers), and of course the Yeti.

There are, of course, also the mixed companies - Rangers, Witches, and
Yetins.

Dwarves:

I think the first thing to note here is that each clan is a faction. Each
has a special craft or talent, etc. With these come legend, philosophies,
etc. The barriers between clans are fairly real, that is, one cannot join
(or leave) on a whim. Forsaking a clan is a major decision, as it marrying
into one, or accepting a task from the leaders of another Clan. Accepting
a task creates a sort of individual alliance with the clan.

Some, however, that would cross clan barriers might be the Axes of Uzdun,
the Runecrafters (weapon-smiths), and the Shields of Stone, which both
makes armor and fights beside Zhotul'Uzdun at need.

Elves:

Not many strong factions, given Elvish individualism. The few "real"
factions, priesthoods, or schools of magick command very real power, given
that their existance is a product of persistence. Such societies may be
hidden from outsiders, but still have significant influence. An example
would be a long-standing council of Elvish Princes and Archmages. The
world may not know the council exists, but its decisions can still change
the course of history.

The Elves have a pantheon ironically similar to that of the Humans. The
Human pantheon is a product of their generalist approach to life, and
unabashed borrowing from the other races. The Elvish folk specialize in
knowledge, beauty, and that application of knowledge and beauty which is
magick, but their perspective on the world results in a pantheon which is
remarkably similar to the Humans'

The other races, because of their particular ways of life, have more
specific, though not necesarily smaller groupings of gods.

Mixed companies:
Witches, Rangers, Yetins - mutual support and respect between the three
groups.

Rangers - already discussed
Yetins -  ditto
Witches (of Yendor) - "The Midwives" A group of Human and Half-Elvish
herbalists, alchemists, and shamans which specialized in healing and
warding. Also kept a few bits of lore which few others possessed. Hunted
almost to extinction during the last few generations.

That's what I have for now.

--
All that is gold does not glitter,
  Not all those who wander are lost;