Re: [Adonthell-general] Plot Guidelines Part 1

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Plot Guidelines Part 1
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 00:23:59 +0200

At Monday 02.09.2002 22:44, you wrote:
I've just finished a first draft of the first part of the plot design
guidelines. The second part (which should follow soon) will deal with
the ways to document the plot, including a short intro to the dot tool.
But since that part is going to be less controversial than the actual
design guidelines (at least that is what I hope), I thought I could
leave it away for now.

So please have a look at the doc and tell me what you think? Anything
missing that we discussed at the meeting? Anything in there you don't
agree with? Anything unclear? Typos? Grammar?

Wow! Very good writing Kai, a great read. If our plotters will follow that document in some way we're in for big-time sizzling plots!

All in all, I think you get the message across very well, and basically everything we said at the meeting found it's way in the document.

I'm just going to nag at the details a bit ;) :

-Main Plot: The graphic you use could be a little misleading, and maybe the text could illuminate this a little more: The way you describe keypoints could be understood as that the every player has to pass through it in the same way, with no options or different ways. So two players with different styles of playing (to polarize - the "good" and the "bad") would go seperate ways, join at the keypoint, then go seperate ways again, join at the next keypoint, split up again, etc. As I can remember from the meet we defined a keypoint more as a group of plot nodes that have basically the same action/meaning/location, translated to the different plot lines the player is following. Ergo the same events, but the good player would have a different version than the evil player. ANd depending on how good/eveil he was he can't at this point choose to take the evil way or vice versa. What I'm trying to say is that a keypoint shouldn'tbe a place where everybody arrives in different states but leaves with having the same options as everybody else. Some should of course be bundeld, and sometimes maybe could have the opportunity to chjange the way they follow the plot (maybe without knowing). Rant, rant. What it comes down to, is that at any point the actions I have taken afore arriving at a certain node should have an influence on the choices I have to carry on at that node. If I've chosen a very evil way, I wouldn't really be able to go the good way anymore, even at a keypoint. See keypoints not as a railstation, but as cluster of... daarrgh, can't think of the english word... [Weichen] in one place. (Sprechen Sie Deutsch? Someone translate please...) All my talk above can probably be incorporated into your document with a few lines and perhaps a tweak to the graph: Kinda not have one box for the keypoint but many (or something).

-Sidequests: I think sidequests shouldn't be discarneable as such, i.e. The player shouldn't be able to go "Oh, that's just a bloody sidequest - bugger that, I'll carry on with the plot" (At least not always). They should appear in a similiar fashion than any part of the plot. If yozu agree, maybe this should be stressed a little more in the guideline. Also, there is that in-between type of quest that isn't necessary for the plot, but can help you a lot or gives you a shortcut in the plot (like Some suggestions you've just made on the plot list). You mention these in the document, but could maybe do so more explicit.

-NPC's: You forgot one category: Fun NPCs! I can't really think of a good example, but I'm sure James could :) I guess you could group those under No-use characters, but then that's such a degrading name -why not change it to... diversion characters? Because that's in the end what these characters could be useful for! YOu dont want eevery character having something useful to say/sell/do - why not have one to crack jokes or just plain mislead you? With that said I don't agree with that they should be avoided where possible - rather use sparingly, so as not to annoy the player (In some places even that can be fun...). Talking about that I also think that not every NPC needs to have occupation. The rare chap could just sit somewhere all day or wander around all the time (Like some loony you could meet everywhere - back to the annoying NPCs ;)

On idea I had of a sentence on could add somewhere when talikng about alignment and interactivity: "In the most extreme case, a NPC could become your best friend in one game and your utter enemy in the next, depending on your style of play"

Just beacause I wrote that much dosn't mean I'm critiscizing much, it's just that what I'm critizising takes so long to explain...

Sorry for the partly sloppy writing

BEN