Re: [Adonthell-general] website thumbnails/icons ideas

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] website thumbnails/icons ideas
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 23:29:36 +0200

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:51:34 +0200 Benjamin Walther-Franks wrote:

>  What size should these images
> be and where should they appear? Should they be rather small and
> replace the bullets as in the wastesedge downloads (which i think
> looks fine) or should they rather be real thumbnails, built into or
> next to the short text? In both cases I think it's important for them
> to be clickable _aswell_ as the text links.

I would say they should replace the bullets then. But that means they
have to be really small. 30x30 at most, possibly smaller.

> DOWNLOADS:
> -Current version, the roots: Screenshots seem appropriate here, in the
> case of small icons shots of the players (or any character) would be
> nice.

Roots could be the same icon than current version, but b&w.

-documentation: tough one - don't really have a good
idea for this one. maybe just a small pdf icon or so.

Would be okay, I guess. At least I have no better idea.

> -library: easy - a row of books.

Or a stack of books :).

> DEVELOPMENT
> -diary: Again book, but maybe something more exquisit ("dear diary")
> -team page: A tiny version of one of our meeting group photos

That would be really tiny! I mean, 5 people in 30x20?!

> -Documentation: Something similiar to the docu link under downloads
> (or the same)

As it links to the same page, I'd use the same.

> -CVS: Hmm tricky (?)

The disk icon (for source code)?

> -join:  A team photo with one head/body cut out leaving an empty space

Same problem as with the team. Might get too small. But no different
idea right now.

I'm currently starting to wonder whether those icons should be in full
color, or more like the navigation icons. I personally would prefer a
more unobtrusive design. Especially if we have many icons in all colors
it might no longer fit with the rest of the page. Still we could start
with colored icons first. Changing them should be much easier than the
other way round :).