[Adonthell-general] website thumbnails/icons ideas

From: Benjamin Walther-Franks
Subject: [Adonthell-general] website thumbnails/icons ideas
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:51:34 +0200

Hiya,

Had some more thoughts about the thumbnails we suggested at the ircmeet. I believe that the downloads section could really do with some, and I have some ideas for other sections that I will list by section. But before I have one question: What size should these images be and where should they appear? Should they be rather small and replace the bullets as in the wastesedge downloads (which i think looks fine) or should they rather be real thumbnails, built into or next to the short text? In both cases I think it's important for them to be clickable _aswell_ as the text links.

DOWNLOADS:
-Current version, the roots: Screenshots seem appropriate here, in the case of small icons shots of the players (or any character) would be nice.
-music: some musical note, maybe with a background of the adonthell island
-documentation: tough one - don't really have a good idea for this one. maybe just a small pdf icon or so.
-library: easy - a row of books.

LIBRARY
The library links could each have a small book icon. Maybe the same one or even better a different book each - shouldn't be too hard to do (changing colours and sizes a bit)

DEVELOPMENT
-diary: Again book, but maybe something more exquisit ("dear diary")
-team page: A tiny version of one of our meeting group photos
-Documentation: Something similiar to the docu link under downloads (or the same)
-CVS: Hmm tricky (?)
-mailing lists: a pile of mails/letters
-contribute: Again not easy. Maybe a quill and paper?
-join:  A team photo with one head/body cut out leaving an empty space
-savannah: Gnu head :)

CONTACT AND LINKS
-Just the odd letter icon here and there and maybe thumbnails of news articles for "Adonthell in the press"

Well this mail is more to get the discussion going, and I bet you all have some better ideas to add to my uncreative pick. But if you approve of the general idea, I'll sit down and do some, maybe cirrus could too?

BEN