Re: [Adonthell-general] 0.4 material for contest?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] 0.4 material for contest?
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:26:02 +0100

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003 20:42:11 +0000 cirrus wrote:

> I've been thinking about that French contest - of course our entry
> will be a polished version of Waste's Edge, but since we have to do a
> presentation perhaps we could show some of the material and perhaps
> the old NG demo from 0.4 too. That way we could show then how we
> intend to improve what we already have and prove that we're still busy
> working. If they only saw 0.3 which is almost a year old they might
> get the impression that our project is stagnating.

Ah, forgot about the presentation altogether. Well, I guess if we submit
v0.3, we should present v0.3. A short look into the future should be in
order though :).

But actually, I like Alex' idea of showing off some engine features via
the python console. For example, you could show that character behaviour
is scripted and can be easily changed by switching to another schedule
script. The same is true for the mapview. We could open a few more
mapviews and attach them to NPCs. Stuff like that which demonstrates the
flexibility of the engine.

Of course, that might require some improvements to the python console.
Especially if you want to create and assign new mapviews on the fly.

> Thinking of this reminded me that often people, who played 0.3, ask
> for improvements or new features that we already planned for 0.4.
> Maybe we should release a news item on the website listing what 0.4
> will offer - that might save us a few of those queries! :)

Problem with the news item is that it'll vanish with the time. A list of
milestones (and that's what 0.4 is) on a page of it's own would be
better, methinks. Would be cool if we could get at least a vague plan
'til 1.0 together. We can always add details as we make them up. No
dates/deadlines of course (except for Ben ;)).

Until we have that, just direct people to the FAQ:

    http://adonthell.linuxgames.com/overview/faq.shtml#0401

> Maybe we could include a screenshot of the old NG demo and one or two
> character designs (just pix, no further details) as a kind of teaser!

Well. Running the NG demo was really cool, but a screenshot wouldn't
give the same impression. It'd look rather poor compared to the 0.3
shots, I fear. NG on its own would show a vast improvement over 0.3,
though :).

As far as Dun Barethsol related news items are concerned: I like the
idea as such :). We could add one from time to time, together with a
sketch or NG pic or map fakeshot or whatever we have at the time. Would
be a nice feature, I think :).