Re: [Adonthell-general] Is Adonthell Round or Flat?

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Is Adonthell Round or Flat?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 11:04:14 +0200

On 5/1/06, Andrew Phillips <address@hidden> wrote:

Nobody has had any thoughts about this yet, so feel free to make up
something. The question is, how real is what people believe? Is the
Green Lady or the Axebearer "real"? Or do they only exist to explain
some otherwise inexplicable phenomena? If they are real, there might
as well be other planes to act as their ethereal homes ... whether
they are reachable by living or dead is yet another question. I would
say that living creatures would normally not be able to travel
anywhere besides their own plane. But in a world of magic, basically
anything may become possible.

One purpose of other planes might be "fast travelling", using some
kind of ancient portals for example. These might lead to another plane
where time passes differently or distances are shorter. Nothing we'll
need for v0.4, since the area is still pretty small, but perhaps later
on it would be a nice thing.

Kai

This is something I've wondered about for a while now. Is Adonthell round or
flat?

 In terms of short-term gameplay, it doesn't seem to much matter, but it is
interesting to me in terms of wider cosmography. Is Adonthell the only plane
of existence? If it is not, how many other planes are there? What are they?

 Specifically, do elemental planes exist? Do planes of alignment exist? I
can't decide if the answer should be yes, but I can see how it might be yes.
If planes of alignment do exist, it seems to me that each could be the final
destination of characters who die in an alignment, and that characters might
believe they exist whether they do or not.

 In terms of celestial bodies that actually exist, I think there are three
notable ones: the Sun (of course) and Adonthell's two moons, Khel and
Elmoast. Khel is silver-blue and it thought of as a cold world. Elmoast is
red and is thought of as a land full of fire and storms. Khel orbits
Adonthell east to west and Elmoast orbits north to south.