Re: [Adonthell-general] Building adonthell on 64 bits Fedora

From: Mathieu Bridon
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Building adonthell on 64 bits Fedora
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:44:12 +0200

Le Mon, 21 Apr 2008 21:27:01 +0200,
"Kai Sterker" <address@hidden> a écrit :

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Kai Sterker <address@hidden>
> wrote:
>
> >  >  I don't know how it is in other distributions, but in Fedora,
> >  > 64bits libraries are stored in /usr/lib64 (as a way to install
> >  > both 64 and 32 bits libraries).
> >
> >  I guess one simple fix could be to add lib64 to the search path
> >  (before lib) in configure.in.
>
> That's what I did for now, as it seemed the least intrusive way of
> addressing this issue.
Great. Waiting for the new 0.3 to be released, that would take one
patch away from my spec file :D

> > It might also be worth investigating
> >  whether automake nowadays provides better macros for finding Python
> >  lib and dependencies.
>
> Nope. It can check for the interpreter (version) and site-packages
> directory, but doesn't contain any macros for libpython, which we need
> as well.
>

> Something else worth looking into might be the distutils module that
> comes with python 2 and above (AFAIK). Especially distutils.sysconfig
> contains a lot of information about the python installation, from
> which we might be able to extract all the data we need. That needs a
> lot more testing, though, to see if it is consistent across platforms.
> So it's nothing I would want to introduce into v0.3 right now.
And I fully agree. 0.3 is supposed to be "stable" and should now
only get bug fixes. This is clearly not a bug, but more a "something
better for the future".

Mathieu

PS: Fedora 9 now uses GCC-4.3, and adonthell-0.3.4 gets a lot of
warnings building with it. However, it builds fine, and as Fedora 9 is
the only distribution to use it as a default (I think), it should not
be a problem...