[Adonthell-general] Wiki Spam

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: [Adonthell-general] Wiki Spam
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 20:47:55 +0100

Over the last few weeks, there was a constant stream of spam on the
development wiki: http://adonthell.berlios.de/doc/

All vandalism was following the same style: a new user was created and
that created a new page with some external links. There'd be days
where this happend half a dozen times and then other days where
nothing happened. I blocked the spammers' accounts and deleted the
pages, but by now thats becoming a tedious task.

I installed some extensions last week that I hoped would help here,
but without success. So for now I revoked the right to create new
pages from ordinary users. You'll now have to be 'autoconfirmed' to
create new pages. To get autoconfirmed, your account must be older
than a week and you have to have made at least on edit of an existing
page. Please let me know if that's causing you any trouble.

I hope this measure will not interfere too much with normal user
behaviour, but it will give me some time to check and delete spam
accounts before much vandalism occurs.