adr-devel

[adr-devel] Planned upload / CVS organisation

From: Alex Owen
Subject: [adr-devel] Planned upload / CVS organisation
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 16:30:51 +0100 (BST)

Hi There,

I have just got permission from my employer to upload my developments
under the GPL. I'm moving house this weekend and so don't expect anything
till middle of next week!

I was thinking that there are three main parts to ADR software/system

1) information collector that runs on the healthy amanda client
2) adr software that runs in the emergency boot enironment on the fixed
   client
3) adr software that runs on the amanda server (adr server)

Perhaps we should have seperate sub dirs in CVS to distinguish these and
call them something like:
1) adr-client
2) adr-server
3) adr-recover or adr-restore or adr-recovery-environment ???

Any suggestions for other names?

I think that software for adr-recover  (3) should try to be very simple
and portable. eg: mostly /bin/sh scripts as this is (in my setup atleat) a
network boot NFS root system.

Stuff for adr-client (1) and adr-server (2) can be more complex as these
are full running systems so could include python/perl scripts or
compiled programs etc.

There is of course a 4th environment which would be the way to recover the
adr-server system. We could adopt a debian "bootcd" method or the
"miniroot" style of the current adr proposal document.

If I don't hear anything negative I'll try and upload something that seems
sensible to me next week.

I havent a clue how to upload yet either but I'll trawl the docs first!

Alex Owen

 Dr Richard Alexander Owen      Unix System Administrator

 The Computer Centre            E-mail: address@hidden
 University of Leicester           Tel: (0116) 2525133
 University Road                   Fax: (0116) 2525027
 Leicester LE1 7RH