adr-devel

Re: [adr-devel] Planned upload / CVS organisation

From: Stefan Gregor Weichinger
Subject: Re: [adr-devel] Planned upload / CVS organisation
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 18:02:23 +0200

hello, Ales, you wrote:

AO> I have just got permission from my employer to upload my developments
AO> under the GPL. I'm moving house this weekend and so don't expect anything
AO> till middle of next week!

Fine with me. Funny how many people move house in these days, did
that, too.

AO> I was thinking that there are three main parts to ADR software/system

AO> 1) information collector that runs on the healthy amanda client
AO> 2) adr software that runs in the emergency boot enironment on the fixed
AO>    client
AO> 3) adr software that runs on the amanda server (adr server)

Have you ever read the paper that was the startpoint of ADR?

AO> Perhaps we should have seperate sub dirs in CVS to distinguish these and
AO> call them something like:
AO> 1) adr-client
AO> 2) adr-server
AO> 3) adr-recover or adr-restore or adr-recovery-environment ???

AO> Any suggestions for other names?

Not yet. We have to see and discuss the code first, I assume.

AO> I think that software for adr-recover  (3) should try to be very simple
AO> and portable. eg: mostly /bin/sh scripts as this is (in my setup atleat) a
AO> network boot NFS root system.

AO> Stuff for adr-client (1) and adr-server (2) can be more complex as these
AO> are full running systems so could include python/perl scripts or
AO> compiled programs etc.

Yes, but keep in mind: Keep It Simple, Stu...

AO> There is of course a 4th environment which would be the way to recover the
AO> adr-server system. We could adopt a debian "bootcd" method or the
AO> "miniroot" style of the current adr proposal document.

AO> If I don't hear anything negative I'll try and upload something that seems
AO> sensible to me next week.

AO> I havent a clue how to upload yet either but I'll trawl the docs first!

Maybe just contact me offlist for details, you have to get
projectmember first ... ;-)

Regards,
Stefan