aps-devel

Re: [aps-devel] From source?

From: Robert Millan
Subject: Re: [aps-devel] From source?
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 21:08:02 +0100

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 06:53:32PM +0100, Wolfgang Jaehrling wrote:
> > So if you want to install from source, for example we could have (why not?)
> > a (slow) translator that builds a source package and provides the resulting
> > files, while doing some form of local caching with the results.
>
> I do not understand what you mean here.  Could you elaborate?  I am
> particulary confused about what is the reason to let a translator
> build something and why any kind of local caching is needed.
>
> [...]
>
> I am afraid that this bloats the packages a lot.  Remember that there
> are people who cannot afford to download huge packages all the time.
> And if you do not delete the unnecessary files anyway, you waste tons
> of disk space as well.  So what is the point?

I'd like to write a full explanation of my ideas; when i have it we
could put a document explaining them in the www site.

regarding the "Os of my dreams" document, can i put it in the www site
too?

> I don't think that getting packages is a major issue for getting the
> package management _as a whole_ to work at all; doing it _right_ is a
> different issue, which is mostly what Robert wants to do in APS, if I
> am understanding him correctly.

sure.

> I always have Guile in my mind ;-) but I did not think of using it in
> this situation yet.  I do not have a firm opinion on this issue,
> because I do not know what kind of scripting we need exactly.  If
> there is another language that has the necessary abstractions for this
> job (I'm particulary thinking of Bash here), but Guile does not have
> them, we probably shouldn't use Guile.  In every other case, it sounds
> like a good plan to use it.

that's fine for me as i know the basics of bash but have no idea on guile.

but we don't know what to write with it yet ;)

--
Robert Millan

"Omnis enim res, quad dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est."

"For if a thing is not diminished by being shared with others, it is
not rightly owned if it is only owned and not shared."

                Aurelius Augustinus (354-430)