[aspell] Problems compiling aspell .29 on Digital Unix

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: [aspell] Problems compiling aspell .29 on Digital Unix
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 23:35:34 +0100 (CET)

I am sysadm'ing a mixed cluster of pc/linux, sparc/solaris and dec/osf
computers.  I have installed successfully aspell on linux and suns, but I
could not figure how to install it on DEC systems.  I still had mail
messages exchanged with the author of aspell in the past.  uname -a shows:

OSF1 axcdf4.pd.infn.it V4.0 878 alpha alpha

1) I configured aspell with
   ./configure alpha-dec-osf --prefix=/opt/gnu --with-gcc
   and ran make; the mangled names are too long for Digital's assembler (I
   remind you that GNU assembler and linker have NOT been ported to 64 bit
   architectures, and that I am forced to use Digital assembler and
   linker).  The output from ./configure and make are in attachments in
   the first two files.
2) I have now a license for Kuck and Associates Inc. (KAI) compiler; I
   have then tried:
   make distclean
   CC=gcc CCC=KCC ./configure alpha-dec-osf --prefix=/opt/gnu
   make
   BUT your C++ is not compliant to the Standard.  You are actually using
   namespaces for YOUR software, but you are ignoring that library symbols
   also use namespaces, and live in namespace std; so that I got an error
   in the very first procedure compiled.  Inserting a statement "using
   namespace std;" in that procedure makes it compile successfully; but I
   do not want to manually edit all of your source files to insert such a
   statement (that is, indeed, a deprecated practice).  Configure and make
   output are in attachment in the files three and four.

Do I have to give up and to tell my users to resort on linux/solaris in
order to spell-check their files, or do you have other suggestions?

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Univ. of Padova, Dept. of Physics - Padova, Italy            address@hidden