Re: [aspell] Problems compiling aspell .29 on Digital Unix

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] Problems compiling aspell .29 on Digital Unix
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2000 18:11:06 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Maurizio Loreti wrote:

> I am sysadm'ing a mixed cluster of pc/linux, sparc/solaris and dec/osf
> computers.  I have installed successfully aspell on linux and suns, but I
> could not figure how to install it on DEC systems.  I still had mail
> messages exchanged with the author of aspell in the past.  uname -a shows:
>
> OSF1 axcdf4.pd.infn.it V4.0 878 alpha alpha
>
> 1) I configured aspell with
>    ./configure alpha-dec-osf --prefix=/opt/gnu --with-gcc
>    and ran make; the mangled names are too long for Digital's assembler (I
>    remind you that GNU assembler and linker have NOT been ported to 64 bit
>    architectures, and that I am forced to use Digital assembler and
>    linker).  The output from ./configure and make are in attachments in
>    the first two files.

You could try -fsquangle. But the standard libs will need to be compiled
with this also.

> 2) I have now a license for Kuck and Associates Inc. (KAI) compiler; I
>    have then tried:
>    make distclean
>    CC=gcc CCC=KCC ./configure alpha-dec-osf --prefix=/opt/gnu
>    make
>    BUT your C++ is not compliant to the Standard.  You are actually using
>    namespaces for YOUR software, but you are ignoring that library symbols
>    also use namespaces, and live in namespace std; so that I got an error
>    in the very first procedure compiled.  Inserting a statement "using
>    namespace std;" in that procedure makes it compile successfully; but I
>    do not want to manually edit all of your source files to insert such a
>    statement (that is, indeed, a deprecated practice).  Configure and make
>    output are in attachment in the files three and four.

I am but a sole developer with access to only linux and solaris with gcc
2.95.  I believe you will also run into other problems with as it uses
parts of the SGI STL which are not standard.

I have also not known anyone to successfully run aspell on a 64 bit
platform so there also could be some bugs.

> Do I have to give up and to tell my users to resort on linux/solaris in
> order to spell-check their files, or do you have other suggestions?

Try g++ with -fsquangle.  It would be willing to attempt to get it working
for you if you can give me an account for the sole purpose of compiling
and testing aspell.  It does not work on your platform because I do not
have access to it thus I do not have the ability to test aspell on it.
Like I said before I am a sole developer with limited access to machines.
Please have patience.  Aspell is only in alpha state after all.

---
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/