[aspell] still on aspell + dec-alpha

From: Maurizio Loreti
Subject: [aspell] still on aspell + dec-alpha
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 17:51:56 +0100 (CET)

I apologise if I gave the impression to pretend my own needs to be
satisfied from free software; but you ask, in the manual, about Standard
C++; and your C++ is just plainly not standard.

I am sorry, but my employer rules do not allow me to give you an account
on our cluster; however I am more than willing to help you in debugging
your software on alphas.

Here is what I tried today: I have configured the software for gcc+KCC
(that I know may work together) with:
CC=gcc CCC=KCC ./configure alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d --prefix=/opt/gnu

I have edited some Makefiles, because -g -O2 conflicts for KCC: if you
specify -g the code will not be optimized at all:
for file in $(find . -name Makefile -exec grep -l CXXFLAGS {} \;)
do vi $file
done
(CXXFLAGS has been changed to -O2).

I have recursively: started "make"; edited the file giving errors adding a
statement "using namespace std;" in the right place; restarted "make".  I
did so for the following files in util/:
editdist.cc metaphone.cc phoneme.cc split.cc trim_space.cc
that, after the addition, compiled correctly.

I then got a fatal error from util/primes.cc:
KCC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -O2 -c  -DPIC primes.cc -o
.libs/primes.lo
"primes.hh", line 1: catastrophic error: could not open source file
"bvector.h"
  #include <bvector.h>
                      ^

1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "primes.cc".
Compilation terminated.
KCC: Compilation failed.

The header file <bvector.h> is just NOT an ANSI Standard C++ include
file.  So, I gave out.  Is that bvector is intended to define "bit
vectors", the ANSI Standard include file is <bitset>.  I also noted that
in your code you use things like #include <ctype.h> or #include <string.h>
instead of the ANSI Standard #include <cctype> or #include <cstring>.

I suggest you improve your compliance to the Standard, also because GNU
g++ version 3, dur RSN, will be Standard compliant (g++ 2.95.2 is NOT
compliant).  If there are more things I can try, please tell; I am more
than willing to help you to improve your program in the philosophy of the
free software.  And, BTW, sorry for the bad english (but I bet you don't
want that I post in Italian :-)

--
Maurizio Loreti                         http://www.pd.infn.it/~loreti/mlo.html
Univ. of Padova, Dept. of Physics - Padova, Italy            address@hidden