Re: [aspell] still on aspell + dec-alpha

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] still on aspell + dec-alpha
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 12:17:36 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Feb 2000, Maurizio Loreti wrote:

> I apologise if I gave the impression to pretend my own needs to be
> satisfied from free software; but you ask, in the manual, about Standard
> C++; and your C++ is just plainly not standard.

I will amend that.  It is standard in most parts except the library
calls.  I think your best bet to getting this working is to recompile gcc
with -fsquangle.  See http://gcc.gnu.org/fom_serv/cache/41.html.

> I am sorry, but my employer rules do not allow me to give you an account
> on our cluster; however I am more than willing to help you in debugging
> your software on alphas.

That is a shame because it will make BOTH out lifes a lot easier.  I know
some support contracts included physically going into your machine to find
the problem.  But in order to do that they need an account....  What is
your company policy about that?

> Here is what I tried today: I have configured the software for gcc+KCC
> (that I know may work together) with:
> CC=gcc CCC=KCC ./configure alphaev56-dec-osf4.0d --prefix=/opt/gnu
>
> I have edited some Makefiles, because -g -O2 conflicts for KCC: if you
> specify -g the code will not be optimized at all:
> for file in $(find . -name Makefile -exec grep -l CXXFLAGS {} \;)
> do vi $file
> done
> (CXXFLAGS has been changed to -O2).

A better way.  ./configure --disable-debug.

> I have recursively: started "make"; edited the file giving errors adding a
> statement "using namespace std;" in the right place; restarted "make".  I
> did so for the following files in util/:
> editdist.cc metaphone.cc phoneme.cc split.cc trim_space.cc
> that, after the addition, compiled correctly.

Hint you can try putting using namespace std in the header files right
after namespace BLA {

> I then got a fatal error from util/primes.cc:
> KCC -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -O2 -c  -DPIC primes.cc -o
> .libs/primes.lo
> "primes.hh", line 1: catastrophic error: could not open source file
> "bvector.h"
>   #include <bvector.h>
>                       ^
>
> 1 catastrophic error detected in the compilation of "primes.cc".
> Compilation terminated.
> KCC: Compilation failed.

I will look into that one.

> The header file <bvector.h> is just NOT an ANSI Standard C++ include
> file.  So, I gave out.  Is that bvector is intended to define "bit
> vectors", the ANSI Standard include file is <bitset>.  I also noted that
> in your code you use things like #include <ctype.h> or #include <string.h>
> instead of the ANSI Standard #include <cctype> or #include <cstring>.

I will slower fix those over time....

> I suggest you improve your compliance to the Standard, also because GNU
> g++ version 3, dur RSN, will be Standard compliant (g++ 2.95.2 is NOT
> compliant).  If there are more things I can try, please tell; I am more

I know and that is the basic problem as that is the only compiler I have
access too.  Therefor its hard making my code complaint when the compiler
I use doesn't complaint.  And worse yet certain library functions will
simply not work with the current gcc.

You are also going to need to merge in parts of SGI SGL.  Most noticeably
slist, hash_set, hash_map, and rope.  I DO not plan to anything about
this.

> than willing to help you to improve your program in the philosophy of the
> free software.  And, BTW, sorry for the bad english (but I bet you don't
> want that I post in Italian :-)

THats ok.  Mine is not so good either.  At least when I type it.

---
Kevin Atkinson
address@hidden
http://metalab.unc.edu/kevina/