Re: [aspell] Strange behaviour in the phonetic translation rules

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [aspell] Strange behaviour in the phonetic translation rules
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 05:08:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Martin Norbäck wrote:

> I am working on upgrading my Swedish transformation rules for aspell.
> However I've noticed a strange thing:
>
> I have this rule in my transformation file:
> X KS
>
> But when i tell it to transform x, or words ending in x, where no other
> substitution have been made, it just outputs k, not ks.
>
> I tried to make a file with just that rule in it, and it behavs the
> same. Surely this must be a bug!

Yes it is a bug.  The bug is that the phonetic representation can not be
longer than the actual word.  This is rarely a problem in practice because
most all of the time the phonetic representation is a good deal shorter
than the actual word.  I have not had time to fix it, nor is a high
priority since it it not a real problem in practice although I should make a
note of it.

---
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at users sourceforge net