Re: [Aspell-user] trying to create a dictionary for latin and wordfiles

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] trying to create a dictionary for latin and wordfiles
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:09:40 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 9 Jan 2003, Lars Aronsson wrote:

> Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> > > First, the convention is to use the full name of the language, i.e.
> > > "latin", rather than the abbreviation "la".
> >
> > This is no longer correct.  The correct thing to do is to use the two
> > letter iso abbreviation.
>
> Oh, great!  I guess this extends in the same way that LC_LANG does,
> e.g. sv_SE for Swedish (sv) spoken in Sweden (SE) and sv_FI for the
> Swedish spoken in Finland (FI), and eventually aspell will use the
> value of the environment variable LC_LANG as its default.

Are you trying to say that this is not a good idea?

> My own interest in aspell is both for spell checking contemporary
> texts, but also for spell checking the output from OCR of old books.
> For this, I have started to compile a spelling dictionary for old
> Swedish (think "ye olde speling dictionarry").  But what is the
> correct way to name such a dictionary?  Would that be sv_SE_1800?
> Are there "old spelling" dictionaries for other languages?

You should use the sv language but define a jargon for old Swedish.

Please reread the manual for Aspell 0.50 and also have a look on the web
page and carefully read the changes that happened between 0.33 and 0.50.

The old naming convention will still work.  It is just not recommended
because Aspell won't be able to chose an appropriate dictionary based on the
current locale.

---
http://kevin.atkinson.dhs.org